Sunday, April 8, 2012

Where is Coast2Coast?

Where is Coast2Coast?  That is a good question.  The ride will go through 19 states.

Border Field State Park (Border Fence)
We'll start out in San Diego at Border Field State Park, where the Mexican Border meets the Pacific Ocean.  Over several days we'll head into Northern Arizona and New Mexico.  The desert section will be the most difficult as it will have the most altitude at 5,000-6,000 feet.

Skirting my the Northeastern portion of Texas and Oklahoma we'll pass through in less than a day.  I never knew it was possible to get through Texas in less than a day.  Usually if you enter the state you are required to travel through for two days.  I received a Congressional Exemption for the pass-through.

Going Northeast through Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, and onto into Chicago.  I hoping for good media coverage in Chicago with it being a large city.  I've never been there before and am looking forward to riding the L after being in the saddle for several weeks.

From Chicago we'll head due East to Pennsylvania while passing through Indiana and Ohio.  Pennsylvania is the highlight for me during this section.  The history in the state is amazing with the Civil and Revolutionary Wars being fought throughout this area.  On the way back from Maine we will be stopping in Gettysburg.  I want to stare down from Little Round Top and across where Picket's Last Charge took place.  I can only imagine the physical and emotional magnitude of the place.
View from Little Round Top to Devil's Den
Next is one night in New Jersey, followed by entering New York via a ferry.  Is this cheating?  Well, no!  I'll be sitting on my bike the whole time. Does that count?  I want to see the bay from the water as I enter the city.  Being able to see Lady Liberty, the skyline sans WTC, and Ellis Island will be amazing.  We'll stay a few days in NYC.  I want to pay respects at the WTC Memorial and be a tourist.  New York is where I hope to hand a check over the the American Heart Association on national television.  This is what we are working towards.

After New York, the trip gets quiet as we don't hit anymore large cities.  We skirt the coast in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and into Maine.  Lubec is a small town on the border with Canada and will end the cycling portion of the trip there.  After Lubec, we will turn on our heels and drive on back to Fort Worth and take a rest before heading back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment